Saturday, July 18, 2015

GLADIATOR, Part 3




48 INT. EMPEROR’S STATE HALL. EVENING.

Commodus is at his desk, signing scrolls. He hands one to a scribe standing nearby, and turns to the next.

COMMODUS
Why is he still alive?

LUCILLA
I don’t know.

COMMODUS
He shouldn’t be alive. It vexes me. I’m terribly vexed.
(guiltily)
I did what I had to do. If father had had his way, the Empire would have been torn apart. You do see that?

LUCILLA
Yes.

COMMODUS
What did you feel when you saw him?

LUCILLA
I felt nothing.

COMMODUS
He wounded you deeply, didn’t he?

LUCILLA
No more than I wounded him.

COMMODUS
They lied to me in Germania. They told me he was dead. If they lied to me, they don’t respect me. If they don’t respect me, how can they ever love me?

LUCILLA
Then you have to let it the legions know that treachery will not go unpunished.

COMMODUS
(admiring)
Oh, sister. I wouldn’t want to be your enemy.

LUCILLA
What will you do now?


49 INT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND, CELL. NIGHT.

The cell door us unlocked and Maximus is led into another, adjacent cell, where his arms are shackled to the wall. A figure in the corner turns round, lowering a heavy cloak to her shoulders.

Lucilla looks across at Maximus.

LUCILLA
(ironic)
Rich matrons pay well to be pleasured by the greatest champions.

MAXIMUS
(angrily)
I knew he would send assassins. I didn’t know he would send his best.

LUCILLA
Maximus, he doesn’t know.

MAXIMUS
My family was burned and crucified while they were still alive.

LUCILLA
(softly)
I knew nothing -- 

She has stepped within the range of his chains. With one hand he grabs her by the throat, and holds her at arm’s length. She does not flinch.

MAXIMUS
(furious)
Don’t lie to me!

LUCILLA
I wept for them.

MAXIMUS
(scornful)
As you wept for your father?
As you wept for your father?


LUCILLA
(fiercely)
I have been living in a prison of fear since that day. To be unable to mourn your father for fear of your brother. To live in terror every day because your son is heir to the throne.
(sadly)
I’ve wept.

MAXIMUS
My son was innocent!

LUCILLA
(flaring up)
So … is … mine! Must my son die too before you’ll trust me?

He releases her, abruptly, harshly.

MAXIMUS
It doesn’t matter if I trust you or not.

LUCILLA
The gods have spared you. Don’t you understand? 
(declaring)
Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome! 

MAXIMUS
The gods have spared me? I am at their mercy! With the power only to amuse a mob.

LUCILLA
This is power. The mob is Rome. And while Commodus controls them he controls everything. Listen to me. My brother has enemies, most of all in the Senate. But the people follow him. No one would dare stand up to him, until you.

MAXIMUS
They oppose him, yet they do nothing.

LUCILLA
There are some politicians who have dedicated their lives to Rome. One man above all. If I can arrange it, will you meet him?

MAXIMUS
Do you not understand? I may die in this cell tonight, or in the arena tomorrow. I am a slave. What possible difference can I make?!

LUCILLA
This man wants what you want.

[He resists this call to return to the world, to fight for something more than his own vengeance.]

MAXIMUS
(angrily, overwhelmed)
Then have him kill Commodus!

LUCILLA
(calm, saddened)
I knew a man once. A noble man. A man of principle, who loved my father. And my father loved him. This man served Rome well.

MAXIMUS
(self-controlled, quietly)
That man is gone. Your brother did his work well.

LUCILLA
Let me help you.

MAXIMUS
(softly, as if agreeing)
Yes. Help me. 
(leaning nearer to her)
Forget you ever knew me. And never come here again.
(calling out harshly)
Guard! The lady is finished with me.

[CRISIS: Maximus is faced with a choice: whether to continue living only for himself, for his desire for vengeance and his own death (to achieve reunion with his family), OR, to live beyond his own life and help those around him, including Lucilla, the Senate and Rome. He refuses this challenge. The succeeding scenes show his reversal of that decision.]


50 EXT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND, LARGE COMMON CELL. DAY.

Guards are patrolling the corridor. In the large common cell a group of gladiators are playing a game at a table.

Maximus, Juba, and Hagen are sitting at another table. Juba and Hagen are eating.

HAGEN
Maximus, you commanded legions? And had many victories? 
(Maximus nods)
In Germania?

MAXIMUS
(smiling)
In many countries.

The cook calls out to Maximus.

COOK
General!

Maximus stands and goes to pick up his plate of food. He returns, and Juba signals that the food may be poisoned. Hagen takes a spoonful, tastes it and gags, as though poisoned. He starts laughing. The others join in with him.

Juba grows serious again.

JUBA
(to Maximus)
You have a great name. You must kill your name before he kills you. 


51 EXT. COLOSSEUM, SENATORS’ SEATING AREA. DAY.

Trumpets BLARE.

Gracchus arrives and joins two other senators.

GRACCHUS
(greeting the others)
Senator.

GAIUS
Senator Gracchus. I never thought I’d see you enjoying the pleasures of the vulgar crowd.

GRACCHUS
I’ve never pretended to be a man 'of' the people, Senator. But I do try to be a man 'for' the people.

CLOSE ON Cicero (Maximus’ servant on the Germania campaign) in the crowd.

MEDIUM ON the Manager, rising to address the audience.

MANAGER
People of Rome! On the 4th day of Antioch we can celebrate the 64th day of the games. And in his majestic charity the Emperor has named this day to favor the people of Rome with an historical final match. Returning to the Colosseum today after 5 years in retirement, Caesar is pleased to bring to you the only undefeated champion in Roman history, the legendary Titus the Gaul.


52 INT. COLOSSEUM BASEMENT, END OF RAMP. DAY.

Maximus is about to board the ramp that leads up into the center of the arena. Proximo is trying to caution Maximus.

PROXIMO
He knows too well how to manipulate the mob.

MAXIMUS
Marcus Aurelius had a dream that was Rome, Proximo. This is not it. This is not it!

PROXIMO
Marcus Aurelius is dead, Maximus. We mortals are but shadows and dust. 

Maximus strides up the ramp.

PROXIMO (cont’d)
(shouting after him)
Shadows and dust!

MANAGER (O/S)
Caesar is proud to give you … Gaius Maximus. 

[Maximus acknowledges Marcus Aurelius’ dream of what Rome might again become, and with it, his promise.]


53 EXT. COLOSSEUM, EMPEROR’S SEATING AREA. DAY.

Commodus is standing, looking out over the crowd, as Maximus is announced and comes out. Lucilla stands beside him.

COMMODUS
They embrace him like he’s one of their own.

LUCILLA
The mob is fickle, brother. He’ll be forgotten in a month.

COMMODUS
No, much sooner than that. It’s been arranged.


54 EXT. FLOOR OF ARENA. DAY.

The crowd is chanting Maximus’ name.

CLOSE ON Cicero in the crowd.

Maximus approaches Titus the Gaul, a gladiator a head taller than himself, bulkier.

Moments after their swords first come together, two columns of arena attendants run into the arena. The first column lifts up a heavy chain hidden in the sand, and pulling it, releases a spring-driven cage-door set into the floor of the arena. A large tiger pounces out.

The chain the attendants are holding is the tiger’s leash. Four men in the first column hold back the tiger. Titus tries to trick Maximus into the tiger’s path.

Their swordplay continues, several times Maximus is driven close tothe tiger.

The second column pull on another chain.

Maximus rolls and springs away from a second trap door, which releases another tiger.

Titus leads Maximus into the path of the third trap-door, which opens and a third tiger emerges. It lands on Maximus’ back, and he swivels over and drives his sword into its neck.

He stands and Titus stands over him, holding a sword in each hand. Maximus blocks one thrust, and wrests that sword from Titus. Maximus rolls again and picks it up as Titus swings and misses, driving the second sword down into the sand. Maximus, still lying, picks up and hefts the narrrowed pick-axe end of a short sword through Titus’ foot, nailing him to the ground. He reaches up and pushes Titus over, who lands heavily on his back.

Maximus rolls again and stands.

The sound of the crowd CHANTING.

CROWD
Death!
Death!
Death!
Death!


Maximus picks up a long sword, goes over to the former champion, and raises Titus’ visor with the end of the sword. Commodus, looking vexed, signals with his thumb down. Maximus pauses, turns away, and drives the sword into the ground, sparing Titus.

The crowd falls silent.

A single voice in the crowd calls out.

VOICE
Maximus the Merciful!

CROWD
Maximus!
Maximus!
Maximus!


A company of soldiers comes out onto the arena sand. They surround Maximus. The Emperor comes out and enters the circle of soldiers. He walks up to Maximus.

COMMODUS
What am I going to do? You simply won’t die. Are we so different, you and I? You take life when you have to, as I do. 

MAXIMUS
I have only one more life to take, then it is done.

COMMODUS
Take it now!

Maximus turns, and walks away in the direction of the arena exit, beyond the perimeter of soldiers.

COMMODUS
(to Maximus’ back)
They tell me your son squealed like a girl when they nailed him to the cross. And your wife … moaned like a whore when they ravaged her … again … and again … and again.

Maximus turns around and advances a couple steps.

MAXIMUS
The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end, Highness.

He turns and leaves, walking towards the exit.


55 EXT. ON THE STREET. DAY.

Maximus emerges from the Colosseum out into the street, flanked by guards. Crowds line the street. Cicero calls out repeatedly from the edge of the crowd.

CICERO
(calling out)
General! General! General! 

MAXIMUS
(calling back)
Cicero!

Cicero runs along behind the crowd.

MAXIMUS
Where are you camped?

CICERO
At Ostia.

Cicero pushes through the crowd to the street opposite Maximus, who steps over to him.

MAXIMUS
Tell them their General lives.

Cicero pushes a small satchel into Maximus’ hand.

GUARD
(impatiently, to Cicero)
Move along!


56 INT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND, CELL. NIGHT.

Maximus takes out the figurines. He kisses the one of his wife several times, then sets them on a small ledge before him.

He prays.

Juba looks on.

JUBA
Can they hear you?

MAXIMUS
(thickly)
Who?

JUBA
Your family. In the Afterlife.

MAXIMUS
Oh yes!

JUBA
What do you say to them?

MAXIMUS
(warmly)
To my boy … I tell him I’ll see him again soon … and to keep his heels down when he’s riding his horse … To my wife …
(he smiles)
… that’s none of your business.

They laugh together quietly.


57 INT. EMPEROR’S CHAMBERS. NIGHT.

Commodus is pacing, Quintus of the Imperial Guard is seated against the wall.

COMMODUS
And now they love Maximus for his mercy. So I can’t just kill him, that would make him even more merciful. The whole thing is like some crazed nightmare.

QUINTUS
(cautiously)
He is defying you. His every victory is an act of defiance. The mob sees this and so do the Senate. Every day he lives they grow bolder. 
(firmly)
Kill him.

COMMODUS
No! I will not make a martyr of him.

QUINTUS
(pedantic, and quietly vicious)
I have been told of a certain sea snake that has a very unusual method of attracting its prey. It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. 

Lucilla enters the forecourt of Commodus’ chambers, and overhears them.

QUINTUS (cont’d)
Then its enemies will approach while it lies quiet and still, and then its enemies will take little bites of it. And yet it remains still …

COMMODUS
So, we’ll lie still and let our enemies come to us, and nibble. And then … let the Senate approach.


58 EXT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND. DAY.

Cicero enters the viewing area adjacent to the gladiators’ cell, and walks up to the bars.

Maximus comes up, and they hunch over to speak quickly.

MAXIMUS
Cicero, an old friend. I thought I’d seen you for the last time.

CICERO
I thought you were dead!

MAXIMUS
How long have the men been in Ostia?

CICERO
All winter.

MAXIMUS
And how do they look?

CICERO
Fat and bored.

MAXIMUS
Who’s in command?

CICERO
Some fool from Rome.

MAXIMUS
How soon do you think they can be ready?

CICERO
For you, tomorrow.

MAXIMUS
I need you to do something for me.


59 EXT. IN THE STREET. DAY.

Cicero, in the street, buys food from a stall. An open-air puppet show is in progress with a life-size Maximus and Commodus. A narrator satirizes their rivalry at Commodus’ expense.

Lucilla’s litter is carried past. Cicero approaches, bowing.

CICERO
(calling out)
My lady! I served your father in Vindeburnum!
(running alongside)
My lady, I served your father in Vindeburnum!
(bowing again)
I served under General Maximus. I serve him still.

Lucilla leans forward in the litter.

LUCILLA
(calling to litter-bearers)
Stop! Stop.

LUCILLA (cont’d)
(to guards)
Stand back!

CICERO
The General sends word he will meet your politician.

She hands him a few coins.

LUCILLA
For your loyalty, sir.

The litter continues on its way.

[CRISIS: Maximus has shown here that he has now decided to help the Senate.]


60 INT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND, CELL. DAY.

Proximo opens a cell door.

Lucilla walks in.

LUCILLA
(to Proximo)
Leave us!

Proximo leaves.

LUCILLA
(calling out quietly)
Senator Gracchus!

Gracchus enters through another door from an adjoining cell.

MAXIMUS
(mildly ironic)
Hail!

GRACCHUS
I hope my coming here today is evidence enough that you can trust me.

MAXIMUS
The Senate is with you?

GRACCHUS
The Senate? Yes. I can speak for them.

MAXIMUS
You can buy my freedom and smuggle me out of Rome?

GRACCHUS
To what end?

MAXIMUS
Get me outside the city walls. Have fresh horses to take me to Ostia, my army is encamped there. By nightfall of the second day I shall return at the head of 5000 men.

LUCILLA
But the legions all have new commanders, loyal to Commodus.

MAXIMUS
Let my men see me alive and you shall see where their loyalties lie.

GRACCHUS
This is madness! No Roman army has entered the capital in a hundred years.

LUCILLA
Gracchus.

GRACCHUS
(protesting)
I will not trade one dictatorship for another!

MAXIMUS
The time for half-measures and talk is over … Senator.

GRACCHUS
(facing down Maximus)
And after your glorious coup, what then? You will take your 5000 warriors …
(ironic)
… and leave?

MAXIMUS
I will leave. The soldiers will stay for your protection, under command of the Senate.

GRACCHUS
(mildly scornful)
Once all Rome is yours, you will just give it back to the people.
(pauses)
Tell me why.

MAXIMUS
Because that was the last wish of a dying man. I will kill Commodus. The fate of Rome I leave to you.

Gracchus hesitates, reflecting.

GRACCHUS
(deciding)
Marcus Aurelius trusted you. His daughter trusts you. I will trust you.
But we have little time. Give me two days and I will buy your freedom. 

(grimly)
And you. You stay alive, or I will be dead.


61 INT. PROXIMO’S OFFICE. DAY.

Proximo turns around. Maximus is leaning against a table. A guard stands at the door.

PROXIMO
It won’t work. The Emperor knows too much. And as for me, it’s becoming dangerous. 

He glances in the direction of the guard.

MAXIMUS
You’ll be paid on my return. I give you my word.

PROXIMO
(laughs)
Your word. What if you don’t return?

MAXIMUS
Do you know what it was to have trust, Proximo?

PROXIMO
Trust! Who am I to trust?

MAXIMUS
I will kill Commodus.

PROXIMO
Why would I want that? He makes me rich.
(pauses)
Alright, I know that you are a man of your word, General. I heard that you’ll die for honor, die for Rome, that you would die for the memory of your ancestors. 
(shrugs)
But I, on the other hand, I am an entertainer.

Proximo rests his hand on Maximus’ shoulder a moment.

PROXIMO
(calling out)
Guard!

Maximus steps to the door, and turns round.

MAXIMUS
He killed the man who set you free.


62 INT. EMPEROR’S CHAMBERS. EVENING.

Lucilla walks into the room, then turns to leave. Commodus is sitting in shadow, by his model of the Colosseum.

COMMODUS
Where have you been? I sent for you?

She turns back into the room.

LUCILLA
Please, brother.

COMMODUS
What’s troubling you?

She makes no reply.

COMMODUS
Does Gracchus have a new lover? 

LUCILLA
I don’t know.

He stands and walks across to his bed, and sits.

COMMODUS
I thought you’d seen him. He affects everyone like a putrid fever. For the health of Rome the Senate must be bled, and he will bleed too. Very soon.

LUCILLA
Not tonight.

COMMODUS
Do you know what someone said to me once? It’s a dream … a frightful dream … life is. Do you think that’s true? 

LUCILLA
I don’t know.

COMMODUS
I think it is. And I have only you to share it with. 

She comes over and sits beside him. He rests his head on her shoulder, and then slowly pushes her down. He traces her lips with a fingertip, and then places his finger against his mouth. He rests his head against her neck and shoulder.

COMMODUS
You know I love you.

LUCILLA
(without emotion)
And I love you.

Two beats.

She moves out from under him, and stands.

She comes out of the room and walks quickly down the corridor past the guards, pulling her scarf over her head.


63 EXT. GRACCHUS’ VILLA. DAY.

Gracchus is in the courtyard, feeding a flock of tame geese. A male attendant looks towards the gate where a company of the Emperor’s soldiers (Praetorians) have entered the grounds.

ATTENDANT
Sir, Praetorians.

The soldiers march into the courtyard. Gracchus walks over, saying nothing.

They lead him away.


64 INT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND, CELL. DAY.

Proximo is at the cell door. Maximus turns towards him.

PROXIMO
Congratulations, you have very persuasive friends.

Lucilla comes in.

LUCILLA
My brother has had Gracchus arrested. We can’t wait any longer. We must leave tonight. Proximo will come at midnight to take you to the gate. Your servant, Cicero, will be waiting there with horses.

MAXIMUS
You have done all this?

LUCILLA
Yes.

MAXIMUS
(alarmed)
You risk too much. 

LUCILLA
I have much to pay for.

MAXIMUS
You have nothing to pay for. You love your son. You’re strong for him.

LUCILLA
I am tired of being strong. My brother hates all the world. And you most of all.

MAXIMUS
Because your father chose me.

LUCILLA
No. Because my father loved you.
And because … I loved you.


MAXIMUS
(gently)
A long time ago.

LUCILLA
Was I very different then?

Three beats.

MAXIMUS
You laughed more.

She smiles ruefully.

LUCILLA
(vulnerable)
I have fought all my life alone … except with you. Understand?

MAXIMUS
Yes.

He kisses her.


65 INT. EMPEROR’S BEDCHAMBER. EVENING.

The sound of Lucius PLAYING in the hall. He is fencing with two slaves, hitting a wooden sword against theirs, as he walks forward.

LUCIUS
Back!
Back!
Back!
Back!


Commodus rises from his bed and comes out into the hall.

COMMODUS
Lucius, isn’t it a little late to be playing a legionnaire?

Commodus takes up one of the toy swords.

LUCIUS
I’m not a legionnaire. 

COMMODUS
Not a legionnaire?

LUCIUS
I’m a gladiator.

COMMODUS
A gladiator? Gladiators only fight in the games. Wouldn’t you rather be a great Roman warrior, like Julius Caesar?

LUCIUS
(still playing with the sword)
I’m Maximus, the savior of Rome.

COMMODUS
The savior of Rome?
He kneels beside the boy, leaning in close to him.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
And who said that?

Lucius whispers into Commodus’ ear, as if they are playing a game.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
(aloud)
Were they?


66 INT. EMPEROR’S BEDCHAMBER. EVENING.

Commodus and Lucius are sitting up on the bed. They are playing and laughing.

LUCIUS (O/S)
She couldn’t!

COMMODUS
Yes she did. 

Commodus lays his hand against the boy’s chest.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
A viper pressed here, right into her heart.

Lucius laughs again, as if at a ghost story.

The sound of Lucilla’s FOOTSTEPS.

COMMODUS
Yes, you see, Lucius, sometimes royal ladies behave very strangely and do very odd things when they ought not to.

LUCIUS
Well, I think it’s silly. 

COMMODUS
Yes. So do I. So do I. 
(calls out)
Sister! Join us. I’ve been reading to dear Lucius.

LUCIUS
I’ve been reading too.

COMMODUS
Yes. He’s a very clever little boy. He’ll make a grand Emperor one day. We’ve been reading about the great Mark Antony’s adventures in Egypt.

LUCILLA
And the Queen killed herself with a snake.

COMMODUS
And I’m just waiting to hear what happened to our ancestors. 
(to Lucius)
If you’re very good tomorrow I’ll tell you the story of Uncle Claudius. 
(watching Lucilla)
He was betrayed by those closest to him, by his own blood. They whispered in dark corners. They went out late at night, and conspired … and conspired. But the Emperor Claudius knew they were up to something … he knew they were busy little bees. 

Lucilla is shocked. Tears flow freely, silently down her cheeks.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
And one night he sat down with one of them, and he looked at her and said: ‘Tell me what you’ve been doing, busy little bee, or I shall strike down those dearest to you. You shall watch as I bathe in their blood.’ And the Emperor was heartbroken. The little bee had wounded him more deeply than anyone else could ever have done.
(turning back to Lucius)
And what do you think happened then, Lucius?

LUCIUS
(near tears, frightened)
I don’t know, Uncle.

COMMODUS
The little bee told him everything.


67 EXT. A STREET OUTSIDE PROXIMO’S COMPOUND. NIGHT.

Troops are marching through the streets, approaching Proximo’s compound.


68 INT. SENATOR’S BEDCHAMBER. NIGHT.

An assassin releases a snake into Gaius’ bed.


69 EXT. PROXIMO’S COMPOUND. NIGHT.

The troops arrive at the gates of Proximo’s compound.

SARGEANT
(banging on the gate)
Open up in the name of the Emperor, Proximo!

In his cell, Maximus looks up.

SARGEANT
(at the gate)
Open the gates in the name of the Emperor! Proximo!

Proximo walks quickly down the corridor, carrying a large ring of keys.

SARGEANT (O/S)
Open the gates!

Proximo arrives at Maximus’ cell.

SARGEANT (O/S)
Open the gates, Proximo! Do you want to die, old man?

Proximo hands the keys through the bars to Maximus.

PROXIMO
Here. Everything has been prepared. It seems you have won your freedom.

MAXIMUS
(hesitates)
Proximo, are you in danger of becoming a good man?

Proximo makes a guttural noise and quickly turns away.

At the gates, the troops throw grappling hooks along the top.

SARGEANT (O/S)
You. In the name of the Emperor, die.

Maximus unlocks his cell door.

MAXIMUS
Juba!

He gives the keys to Juba, who starts unlocking the other cell doors.

The grappling hooks are pulled by soldiers on horseback, and a section of the wall comes down.

The troops file quickly into the compound.

Maximus meets with the others, all assembled now in the largest central cell.

MAXIMUS
I only need those among us who will not be careless with their lives. If you don’t want any part of this, go back to your cells.

HAGEN
We will wait here for you, Maximus.

In the cell, Maximus hestitates to leave.

ALL
Strength and honor!

Maximus stands and faces Juba. He presses his forehead against Juba’s, in farewell.

MAXIMUS
Strength … and honor!

The troops are spreading out in a disciplined line, archers in behind, as the gladiators come out through several doors of the large cell into the courtyard, carrying swords.

The archers shoot a wave of arrows.

Several gladiators fall. Others come forward fast, fighting hand to hand.

Maximus runs through the stable, picks up an unlit torch, lights it, and runs down a flight of steps into an underground passageway. A suit of armor and sword have been placed in the corner at the foot of the steps. He picks them up and moves on into the dark passage.

On the upper floors of the Compound, soldiers are climbing the stairs towards Proximo’s room.

Proximo takes out the wooden rudius sword, the emblem of his freedom given him by Marcus Aurelius.

The soldiers burst into his room, raise their swords behind his back.

PROXIMO
(gently, stoic)
Shadows and dust.

The soldiers give him a soldier’s death, driving their swords down into his body.

In the courtyard, the fighting is at its peak. Three arrows rip into Hagen’s back, two more enter his chest, as a soldier drives a sword into him.

Maximus emerges from the rear of the Compound into a woods. The sounds of the NIGHT.

He sees a man sitting on a horse under a tree in the distance.

He makes a whistling call.

CICERO
(calling out)
Maximus!

The horse bolts and Cicero is suddenly swinging, being hanged from the tree. Maximus runs to him, and lifts him up, trying to save him.

CICERO
(gasping)
Maximus, I’m sorry -- 

Three arrows slam into Cicero’s chest.

MAXIMUS
No!

Archers appear all around, above on the parapets, with their crossbows pointed down at him.


70 EXT. IMPERIAL BALCONY. NIGHT.

Waves of white-gray pigeons rise against the early morning sky. The sound of their FLAPPING WINGS.

PULL BACK TO REVEAL Commodus, standing on the balcony, watching the sunrise.

COMMODUS
It’s done. 

He turns. Quintus is standing behind him.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
And what of my nephew?
And what of his mother?
Shall they share her lover’s fate? Or shall I be merciful? 

(savoring it)
Commodus the Merciful.

He walks inside, where Lucilla is sitting upright, motionless, deathly pale.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
(to Quintus)
Lucius will stay with me now. 
(glancing at Lucilla)
And if she ever so much as looks at me in a manner that displeases me, he will die. If she decides to be noble, and take her own life, he will die. 
(to Lucilla)
And as for you. You will love me, as I’ve loved you. You will provide me with an heir, of pure blood, so that Commodus and his progeny will rule for a thousand years. 
(pauses)
Am I not merciful?

He leans very close to Lucilla. He tries to kiss her, but she averts her face. He leans back and, taking hold of her chin, he roughly pulls her so she is facing him again. He leans close to her again.


COMMODUS (cont’d)
(screaming into her expressionless face)
AM I NOT MERCIFUL!?

CLOSE ON her expression, wooden, defeated, yet still defiant.


71 INT. COLOSSEUM. DAY.

Trumpets blare as the crowd chants.

CROWD
Maximus!
Maximus!
Maximus!
Maximus!


In a room beneath the arena floor Maximus stands in chains, his arms manacled and pulled up. His head is sagging.

The gates to this platform open, and Commodus enters. He walks forward and stands opposite Maximus, close.

COMMODUS
(whispering, imitating the distant,
muted chant of the crowd)
Maximus!
Maximus!
Maximus! 

(to Maximus)
They call for you.
The General who became a slave. The slave who became a gladiator. The gladiator who defied an Emperor. Striking story. 

(speaking to ‘both’ audiences)
Now the people want to know how the story ends. Only a famous death will do. What would be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor himself in the great arena.

MAXIMUS
You would fight me?

COMMODUS
Why not? Do you think I’m afraid?

MAXIMUS
I think you’ve been afraid … all … your … life.

COMMODUS
Unlike Maximus the Invincible, who knows no fear?

MAXIMUS
(laughs softly)
I once knew a man who said death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

COMMODUS
I wonder. Did your friend smile at his own death?

MAXIMUS
You must know. It was your father.

COMMODUS
You loved my father, I know. Well, so did I. That makes us brothers, doesn’t it now.

Commodus embraces him as a brother.

COMMODUS (cont’d)
Smile for me now, brother!

Commodus stabs him in the side, deep, and quickly kisses him on the neck.

Commodus steps back.

COMMODUS
(to Quintus)
Strap on his armor. Conceal the wound.

The platform starts rising. They are being lifted up to the floor of the arena. Commodus looks up, light streaming on his face.


72 EXT. ARENA FLOOR. DAY.

LONG ON a large square hole in the sand of the center of the arena floor. On the platform slowly rises up into it, a perimeter of soldiers, in testudo formation, are kneeling in a square ring around Maximus and Commodus. The platform comes to rest.

Sound of the SHOUTS of the crowd.

The soldiers stand and step back to form a large ring around Maximus, Commodus, and Quintus.

Commodus accepts a sword from Quintus.

Maximus is leaning forward slightly. Quintus approaches him, then throws a sword to the ground in front of him.

He kneels, staggering a little, picks up a handful of the arena sand, and rubs it between his hands.
He picks up the sword and stands, with effort.

Commodus hurls himself at Maximus. Their swords come together. Maximus is pushed back, almost losing his balance. He lifts the sword and fends off Commodus again. Commodus lunges again. Maximus turns round and catches Commodus’ leg behind his own, throwing him to the ground. Comodus loses hold of his sword. He stands quickly.

Maximus tosses his own sword to the ground.

He sees his villa and the wall. He is gliding towards it over a field of grain.

COMMODUS
(to Quintus)
Quintus, sword! Give me your sword!

Quintus makes no move.

COMMODUS
(to the soldiers)
Sword! Give me a sword!

Several soldiers begin drawing their swords.

QUINTUS
(to the soldiers)
Sheathe your swords!
Sheathe your swords!


Maximus sees the door in the villa wall. He is approaching it.

Commodus pulls back the sleeve of his tunic and draws out a long knife strapped to his forearm.

Maximus returns to himself at the last moment as Commodus lunges at him, moving to slash down into Maximus’ chest. He dodges away. Commodus attacks again, and Maximus seizes him and surges forward with unexpected force, punching him in the gut, then an elbow to the face, and again, throwing him back.

Commodus is standing, stunned from the punches, and lunges again, this time with less force and speed, his knife-arm extended. Maximus grabs the extended arm at the shoulder, his other hand clamped now on Commodus’ other wrist. Maximus slowly brings the wrist back toward Commodus’ own chest. Commodus pummels Maximus with his free arm, bringing down blows on his shoulder and side. The knife gradually descends … slowly … into and through Commodus’ neck, and down into his chest.

Commodus dies.

Maximus is swaying on his feet, unable to move.

He sees his villa wall again, and the door. He reaches forward and pushes it open. He can see inside, and smiles. His wife and son are coming towards him.


QUINTUS
Maximus!
Maximus!


Maximus comes back again.

MAXIMUS
(with effort)
Quintus. Free my men. Senator Gracchus is to be reinstated. There was a dream that was Rome. It shall be realized. These are the wishes of Marcus Aurelius.

QUINTUS
(to guards)
Free the prisoners. Go!

Maximus falls.

Lucilla comes out onto the arena floor. She rushes across to Maximus.

LUCILLA
Maximus!

Maximus 'returns' again, and looks up at her.

MAXIMUS
Lucius is safe.

She nods. A distant look enters his eyes.

LUCILLA
(voice breaking)
Go to them.

His eyes hold hers for a moment longer, then let go. His head falls to one side.

Maximus dies.

He is inside the villa walls, crossing the fields towards the buildings, his hand brushing over the grain. His son is running towards him along the long avenue. Maximus’ wife is standing in the distance, on the hillside. The tableau mirrors the scene in which they were killed.

Lucilla weeps, and closes his eyes.

LUCILLA
(gently)
You’re home.

She gathers herself, and stands. She turns round and faces the onlookers.

LUCILLA
Is Rome worth one good man’s life? We believed it once. 
(to Gracchus)
Make us believe it again. 
(turning round)
He was a soldier of Rome! Honor him.

Gracchus walks forward and stands over Maximus’ body.

GRACCHUS
Who will help me carry him?

Soldiers and gladiators come forward, stooping to lift him up.

LONG ON Maximus’ body as they raise it up, and start walking slowly across the arena floor.

Lucilla follows behind, as the image FADES TO DARK.


73 EXT. ARENA. DAY.

CLOSE ON a hand digging in the sand.

Juba is holding Maximus’ small satchel. He takes out the figurines, and lets them rest a moment in his palm.

He buries the figurines in the sand.

JUBA
Now we’re free! I will see you again. But not yet. Not yet.

He smiles.

PULL BACK TO REVEAL Juba kneeling in the arena. Alone.

He stands and pulls his cloak up over his shoulder, as he walks towards the arena door, a free man.

PULL UP through the awning of the Colosseum, the sun setting over the seven hills of Rome…



… CREDITS …



“For our friend,
Oliver Reed.”